By Orla, December 8, 2013
Hot chocolate is a favourite with almost everyone at this time of the year, especially the kids. But instead of two heaped spoons of sugary, store-bought drinking chocolate, why not try to make your own delicious hot chocolate drink this winter?
This recipe contains three great superfoods: raw cocoa powder, raw honey and organic coconut oil.
Not only is it way healthier, but there are so many extra dimensions of flavour as well. It’s a win win situation!
- 2 cups of vanilla almond milk
- 1 heaped tablespoon of raw cacao
- 1 tablespoon of raw honey
- 1 tablespoon of (organic) coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
How it’s done:
- Heat the almond milk in a pot to just below boiling point. Almond milk is readily available in lots of major supermarkets in Ireland, and if you can’t find a vanilla variation, you can just add a drop of vanilla essence instead.
- Mix all the other ingredients together in a blender or you can just whisk them together by hand.
- Combine the heated milk and the blended ingredients together and stir until thoroughly blended, and there you have it.
The coconut oil gives this hot chocolate a lovely richness and creaminess, while the cinnamon and honey work together to sweeten the raw cocoa flavour, without having to add any sugar.