By Orla, July 10, 2014
Forget the “hair of the dog” or the grease-laden full Irish breakfast followed by a cuppa, this refreshing smoothie is the only thing you need to cure a dodgy hangover. The watermelon and the cucumber act to rehydrate you, while the mint and the salt go about settling your fragile stomach.
This recipe serves about 4, but if your hangovers are anything like ours, you’re probably going to need all 4 portions to yourself. So here’s the miracle cure you’ve been searching for all your adult life.
What You’ll Need:
300g of cubed watermelon
75g of peeled and sliced cucumber
2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
6 fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnishing
1 litre of sparkling water
Chilled agave nectar syrup (honey works too if you can’t find any agave)
Ice, for serving
How It’s Done:
1. Dice the peeled watermelon and cucumber into cubes.
2. Combine the watermelon, cucumber, lime juice, salt and mint leaves in a blender or smoothie maker and blend until it’s smooth.
3. Strain the mixture through a sieve to get a completely smooth consistency, pressing down on the mixture to release all the liquid.
4. You’re pretty much done, just fill half a glass with the mixture and the other half with sparkling water. Squirt in as much as agave syrup as you like, depending on how sweet you want it.
5. Stir it all together and finish off with a few ice cubes and a mint leaf to garnish (you probably won’t be feeling well enough to worry about garnishes, but the option is there).
6. If you don’t drink it all, it will keep for a day or two in the fridge.