SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN. Split peas and barley are cooked with garlic, onion, celery, carrots and potatoes in this meatless soup which is seasoned with basil and thyme. This makes a very thick vegetarian split pea soup. To make it thinner, reduce the amount of split peas or add more water.
Vegan Split Pea Soup is a hearty mix of green split peas, carrots, celery, onion and green cabbage simmered with flavorful herbs – it's my all-time favorite split pea soup recipe! Includes slow cooker, Instant Pot + stovetop methods. Let's start the new year with a big bowl of warm and comforting. You can have SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN using 8 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN
- Prepare 1 lb of split peas.
- It’s 6 of large carrots.
- It’s 5 stalks of celery.
- Prepare 1 of medium-large leek with dark green top removed and discarded.
- You need 1 of large (not gigantic) onion.
- You need 4 tablespoons of olive oil Or unsalted butter.
- You need 2 teaspoons of salt.
- Prepare 9-10 cups of water.
This vegetarian split pea soup is made with a touch of liquid smoke in place of the traditional ham. It's a filling, easy plant based meal! Serve this vegan and vegetarian split pea soup with some crusty bread, biscuits (or vegan biscuits), or a simple side salad for a full meal. Split pea soup is healthy, comforting, and so easy to make.
SPLIT PEA SOUP, VEGETARIAN OR VEGAN instructions
- Small chop or large dice all vegetables..
- In Dutch oven (large pot) heat olive oil or unsalted butter to medium-low.
- Sautee veggies slowly about 12 minutes until cooked down slightly, stirring occasionally..
- Add split peas, water and salt. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cook 75 minutes. Taste and add more salt if needed..
In fact, I have about a million and one versions that I make, and I never actually follow a recipe. I had a hard time picking a version for this post, but I decided to go with a vegan version of what I consider classic split pea soup — the smoky. Vegan Split Pea Soup – flavorful, hearty soup made quickly and easily in the Instant Pot. Serve it up with smoky tempeh crumbles and a slice of crusty bread. There is nothing I love more than a comforting steaming bowl of soup.